Monday, March 30, 2009

Gory Goya Allegory

In this post, I plan to use a famous painting (one of my favorites) by Francisco de Goya, wherein the titan Saturn devours one of his sons in a grisly fashion, to create several metaphors through which you might better understand some things I'm going through. These are my plans. Whether or not everything will go accordingly, I have no idea. Something unforeseen and drastic may happen, and you may cry out as if you've learned something terrifyingly disturbing, found out about an unplanned pregnancy on national television, or witnessed the sudden appearance of a velociraptor. Hopefully the graphic nature of this painting will allow me to draw vivid connections that would otherwise command lots of description. There's only one way to find out.

1. I have been attempting to learn how to surf with a short board. It is MUCH harder than surfing with a long board, as I have found out on several occasions. The key to getting better, as I've learned, is to ignore that voice inside that tells you to stop doing things that will endanger your life gravely. In this metaphor, imagine that I am being devoured by giant waves that crush my body as if they were large godlike things. See how this works? (The waves are big and scary.)

2. Thus far, I've had about 6 weeks of classes and one assignment. Australian university is slightly less demanding in terms of the workload, compared to American university. However, in the next few weeks, I am about to be eaten alive by some huge assignments.

3. I find out whether I got an internship with Ogilvy tomorrow. This has been such a long ridiculous process, and I'm incredibly nervous about it. It's tearing me apart.

4. The other day I was picked up and viciously chewed on by a massive, titan, naked, brutally macabre godlike being. Don't worry though. In Australia, your limbs grow back in like a day. Also, it might have been a dream.

5. I can't decide whether to go to Thailand or not! You can invent your own metaphor for this one, I don't want to step over any cultural boundaries. Any thoughts?


Hopefully you got a lot out of this. I know I did.

No worries,
<3Kevin

4 comments:

  1. "it's tearin' up my heart when I'm with you
    but when we apart I feel it too
    and no matter what I do, I feel the pain
    with or without you"
    -N'Sync

    #3 made me think of that, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends where in Thailand. If it's Phuket, go. If it's Bangkok, don't.

    ReplyDelete